LXI-30 Feet of Clay

Yes, YOU CAN Write a poem a day for 30 days!
Start/Restart any time.
Give it a try!!

Moderators: allenitz, AJFolkart

Bill_Back
Blueline Seraph

LXI-30 Feet of Clay

Postby Bill_Back » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:07 pm

Based on the whirl of people being "outed" as sexual harassers, now we have Matt Lauer as the latest.

Feet of Clay
By Bill Backstrom

Goliath proved that the bigger they are
The harder they fall

Old Testament coins phrase
“feet of clay”
Referring to a dream of metal statue
With feet of clay
Indicating a material flaw
That would make it fail

We idolize people
Be they politicians, sports figures,
Business leaders, artists or clergy
Actors and now a news anchor
Only to discover they are human
With feet of clay
We are crushed at their betrayal
Of our adoration
<<>>

allenitz
Forum Director

Re: LXI-30 Feet of Clay

Postby allenitz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:27 pm

very true. of all the recent revelations, most disgust me while some make me very sad. this has also been true in my personal life when I discover men, friends even, who i looked up to are revealed to be cheating on their wives.

allen
http://herenow.7beats.com/ new poems and new poets every week

WayneS
Blueline Seraph

Postby WayneS » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:50 pm

In the past, a distinction was made between public and private lives. We overdid it, overlooking and apologizing for too much. We are in a period now of over compensating for that imbalance. If it leads to more of a balance in public and private lives, that would be good. If it leads to the powerful acting with more respect and humility toward others, that would be better. If we treat our leaders as people and not saints and heroes, that would be best.

Geez. I sound like a preacher....

Wayne

hawkseye
Blueline Seraph

Postby hawkseye » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:56 pm

especially the final stanza, Bill

the daily revelations gnaw at my gut -- not because I idolized anyone, but because I had no reason NOT to respect them -- until now -- and now I question trust

and I nod to Wayne's thoughts on public vs. private lives. And wondering how does one establish a realistic line between what one gets to do, say, think, be in private vs. public? It does seem culture has erred on the side of silence, but will it now swing too far the other direction?

as Wayne said it better than I am:

If it leads to more of a balance in public and private lives, that would be good. If it leads to the powerful acting with more respect and humility toward others, that would be better. If we treat our leaders as people and not saints and heroes, that would be best.

-judy

Return to “The House of 30 : A perfect Day 4 Poetry AJFolkart, Allen Itz, Moderators”